A resident student is one who is a U.S. citizen and has met specific requirements demonstrating permanent residence in the State of Washington. Two elements are necessary to establish permanent residence. The first element requires physical presence on the location claimed as a permanent residence. The second element requires the intent to permanently reside in that location. These two elements can be established by a variety of factors and documentation which should be dated one year and one day prior to the commencement of the quarter for which the student is applying for residency status.

Students wishing to change their residency classification must complete a residency questionnaire and provide necessary documentation.

Application for reclassification prior to registration into classes is preferred. Residency reclassification must take place within 30 calendar days of the first day of the quarter.

Special regulations may apply to some eligible non-citizens, Washington higher education employees, and to military personnel and their dependents stationed in the State of Washington. For further information contact the Office of Admissions and Records at 509.527.4283.

Other Residency-Related Resources:

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for the resident-tuition rate?

In order to be eligible for resident-tuition rates, a student must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, or have permanent resident immigration status in the U.S. for at least one year, or hold an eligible visa classification (A, E, G, H, I, K, or L).
  • Be physically present (or his/her legal parent or legal guardian) in Washington for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the quarter.
  • Have established a bona fide domicile (or his/her parent or legal guardian) for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the quarter.
  • The State of Washington regulates residency determinations at Washington community and technical colleges and public universities in accordance with RCW 28B.15.012-014.

How do I change my classification from out-of-state resident to the in-state resident for tuition purposes?

A student must complete the Washington Residence Questionnaire and supply supporting documentation to prove that the student is a bona fide resident of the state of Washington for resident-tuition rates. All materials should be submitted to the Office of Admissions & Records.

What is the cost difference in tuition between in-state and out-of-state?

The cost difference depends on the amount of credits and types of courses the student is enrolled for in any given quarter. Our 2015-2016 tuition rate spreadsheet will give you a breakdown by credit how much tuition will cost.

I live in a border county. Am I eligible for in-state tuition?

At this current time, Walla Walla Community College does not offer resident tuition rates for our neighbors living in border counties of Oregon or Idaho.

There is a waiver available for WWCC students from eligible Oregon border counties.

I am a military veteran/active duty military, do I qualify for any breaks in my tuition?

Military personnel may qualify for tuition waivers pending submission of proper documentation list in the following link.

I am American Indian, how do I obtain in-state residency for tuition purposes?

As an American Indian, you may qualify for in-state residency for tuition purposes. Please see the following link for more information.