Skip to content
Walla Walla Community College

Post-9/11 GI Bill ® – Chapter 33

Service members and veterans who served on active duty after September 10, 2001 for at least 90 aggregate days and have been honorably discharged; or be honorably discharged for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days from this date. Benefits are determined based upon eligible active duty time served after September 10, 2001 If qualified under more than one education benefit program, an irrevocable election must be made to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill ®. Benefits end 15 years from the date of last discharge or release from active duty of at least 90 consecutive days if separation occurred prior to 1/1/2013. Maximum entitlement is 36 months of educational assistance.

Montgomery GI Bill ® (Active Duty) – Chapter 30

Veteran entered or active military service after July 1, 1985. In order to be eligible, veteran must have contributed $1,200 and have and honorable discharge.


Veteran entered service before January 1, 1977 and had remaining entitlement under the Vietnam Era GI Bill ® on December 31, 1989, served on active duty between October 19, 1984 and July 1, 1985 and continued to serve on active duty to July 1, 1988 or to July 1, 1987 followed by four years in the Selected Reserve. Maximum entitlement is 36 months of educational assistance.

Montgomery GI Bill ® (Selected Reserve) – Chapter 1606

Reservists who have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985 (an additional six years if you are an officer) and have a high school diploma or GED are eligible for up to 36 months of educational assistance.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation – Chapter 31

Veteran must have a service- connected disability that is rated at least 10% disabling, separation under other than dishonorable conditions, and rehabilitation to overcome an employment handicap is necessary. Maximum entitlement is 48 months of educational assistance.

Dependent’s Educational Assistance – Chapter 35

A spouse or widow who has not remarried and children between the ages of 18 and 26 of a veteran whose death or permanent and total disability (100%) is service connected, or who has been listed MIA or POW for a period of 90 days, is eligible for VA education benefits. Benefits for spouses end 10 years from the date the individual is found eligible or from the date of death of the veteran. Maximum entitlement is 45 months of educational assistance.

Post-9/11 Transfer of Entitlement (TOE)

DOD offers members of the Armed Forces on or after August 1, 2009, the opportunity to transfer Chapter 33 benefits to their spouse or dependent children. If a member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve) serves 6 years and reenlists for 4 more years or has at least 10 years of service, then transfer of entitlement (TOE) is possible. DOD and the military services must approve all requests for this benefit. NOTE: After separating from the Armed Forces, individuals cannot designate new dependents to receive transferred entitlement or amend the effective date of the initial transfer of entitlement to an earlier date.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

This scholarship provides Post-911 GI Bill ® benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level. A child may begin an approved program of education before the age of 18 and eligibility ends on the child’s 33rd birthday. A surviving spouse can receive benefits for terms beginning on or after January 1, 2015. A surviving spouse’s eligibility generally ends 15 years after the Service member’s death.


Walla Walla Community College Staff, Faculty, and Students thank you for your service!


Return to Veterans Services Home Page

GI Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at