The GED is a series of four exams (Science, Social Studies, Language Arts, and Math) designed to provide evidence of general educational competence equivalent to the minimum level required for a graduating high school senior.
- Eligibility for taking exams
- Exam Preparation
- Exam Fees
- Taking the Exam
- Exam Schedules
- Students with Disabilities
- Downloadable Forms
Eligibility for taking exams
- You must not have graduated nor be currently enrolled in an accredited high school program in the United States or Canada.
- You must be at least 19 years old OR if you are 16-18 years old as of today, you must submit the required “Request for Approval to Test” form signed by a designated school administrator from a school district in Washington State. If you are homeschooled, please come to the Testing Center to obtain the form.
- You must be a resident of the State of Washington.
- Enroll in GED preparation classes – cost is $25 per quarter. There may be financial aid available to cover this cost. For more information, click here.These classes are not required to take the GED.
- Visit GED.com for detailed information.
- Online resources are also available at: SBCTC, GED Online, 4Tests, Test Preview.
- Each GED test costs $30 and retests cost $10.
- Payments are submitted online at the time you schedule your appointment.
Taking the Exam
- Testing is by appointment only. Please register at GED.com, or call 1.877.392.6433.
- You are required to bring government issued photo identification (e.g., state driver’s license, state ID card, or passport).
- You will also need to show that you are a current resident of the State of Washington. This can be shown through a valid Washington Driver’s license or by bringing a current utilities bill with your Washington address.
- The TI-30XS calculator is the ONLY calculator that can be used on the Social Studies, Science, and Mathematics Part 2 exams. You can bring your own TI-30XS calculator, which will be inspected upon arrival. We also have a limited amount of TI-30XS calculators available within the Testing Center. There is an embedded calculator within the test and therefore a physical calculator is not required.
- Si usted quiere tomar los exámenes en español, llame al 1.877.392.6433, para más infmormación.
Testing is by appointment only. Please schedule your appointment at GED.com, or by calling 1.877.392.6433.