Filing for Benefits

In addition to the specific forms obtained from the WWCC Veterans Affairs office, you need the following to apply for VA Education Benefits:

  • Service Members: VA Form 22-1990 & DD-214 or NOBE
  • Spouse & Dependents: VA Form 22-5490
  • Disabled Veterans: VA Form 28-1900

VA applications can be obtained at the Walla Walla Community College Veterans Affairs Office. These forms should also be returned to this office in order to ensure that all claims will be processed accurately. Click here to visit the Department of Veterans Affairs site to download benefit forms, or apply online.

Click here for more information.

Licensing & Certification Tests

VA offers payment for licensing and certification tests. The licensing and certification benefit allows the VA to pay you, if you’re eligible, for a license or certification test. You can receive reimbursement for approved licensing or certification tests you take on or after March 1, 2001.

These tests must be specifically approved for the G.I. Bill. You can receive up to $2,000 per test but VA can only pay for the cost of the test and not other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification. Students must be eligible for benefits to receive test reimbursement. They must have remaining entitlement and their delimiting date must not have passed. Your total months of entitlement to VA education benefits will be reduced each time you use your benefits for licensing and certification.

To determine the charge to your entitlement, the cost of the test is divided by your monthly benefit rate for full-time training. You may receive this benefit if you’re eligible for:

  • Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty (not available for MGIB – Reservists)
  • VEAP
  • Dependents Educational Assistance
  • One-time use under Post-9/11
Click here for more information.

Tuition for Veterans & Qualified Spouses/Dependents Residing in Washington State

If you are a VETERAN and meet the following criteria, you may be eligible for a reduced tuition rate. Please see the link below for additional information.

  • You are a RESIDENT of Washington State and
  • You received an HONORABLE DISCHARGE

In order to receive the reduced tuition rate, you must bring a copy of your DD-214 and provide proof of residency (ex. WA State Driver’s License) to the Office of Admissions & Records prior to the start of the quarter you plan to enroll.

  • If you are a SPOUSE OR DEPENDENT OF A VETERAN you may be eligible for a complete tuition waiver if you meet certain criteria and are a RESIDENT of Washington State. Please see the link below for additional information.

If you have any questions about eligibility, contact Carlos Delgadillo, Registrar, in the Office of Admissions & Record.

Click here for more information.

Direct Deposit

If you are receiving benefits under any of the following VA Education Benefit programs, you can sign up fr Direct Deposit and have your monthly education benefit check automatically deposited into your checking or savings account. This can save approximately 5 days mail time!

  • Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty)
  • Chapter 31: VA Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • Chapter 35: Survivors and Dependent’s Educational Assistance
  • Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve
  • Chapter 1607: REAP

Call 1.877.838.2778 to start, stop, or change your direct deposit.

Click here for more information.

Phone/Web Verification

Under Chapter’s 30, 1606, and 1607, in order to be paid for your education benefits each month, you are required to verify your enrollment. The WAVE system is the preferred method of verification. The WAVE system permits students to perform a multitude of functions. For instance, students may:

  • Report a change in enrollment
  • Change mailing address
  • Initiate or change direct deposit information
  • View enrollment period and monthly rate
  • Sign up for monthly email reminders

For web verification using the WAVE system, click here on the last day of each month and login.

For phone verification, dial 1.877.823.2378 on the last day of each month. However, if you have any changes to report, you will need to verify via the WAVE system.

Click here for more information.

VA Work Study Employment

The VA work-study program permits eligible students to perform services for VA in return for a monetary allowance equal to prevailing Federal or State minimum wage, whichever is higher. VA work-study payments are non-taxable. Students pursuing 3/4 or full-time programs of education or training under chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607 are eligible for work study. Applications are available online at the website address below.

Click here for more information.

Inquiries About Education Benefits

If you wish to inquire on the status of your education benefits or have any questions or comments, you may reach the Veterans Regional Office with the following toll-free number:

Click here for more information.

Veterans Services Available in the Community

The following locations offer special services to veterans in our community. When contacting them for assistance, make sure to identify yourself as a veteran.

Help Line Veterans Assistance Fund

103 N. Main St
Walla Walla, WA 99362

Jonathan M. Wainwright Memorial VA Medical Center

77 Wainwright Dr.
Walla Walla, WA 99362

SSVF (Supportive Services for Veteran Families)

Blue Mountain Action Council
1520 Kelly Place, Suite 140
Walla Walla, WA 99362

Walla Walla Vet Center Readjustment Counseling Service

1104 West Poplar
Walla Walla, WA 99362

WorkSource Center

1530 Stevens
Walla Walla, WA 99362

  • Registration and Referral to Jobs
  • Information/Referral to Training State/Federal Jobs
  • Job Search Planning
  • Referral to Supportive Services
  • Labor Market Information
  • Job Search Workshops
  • Individual Counselling

Academic Probation/Termination

If a student falls below a 2.00 GPA in any quarter of attendance, he/she will be placed on a level I probation for the next quarter of attendance. If progress is not satisfactory at the end of the subsequent quarter, the student will be placed on LEVEL II Probation. If at the end of this quarter, satisfactory progress has not been made, benefits will be terminated as required by law.

Any veteran or dependent receiving benefits who has been terminated, will not be re-certified by the school for veterans education benefits until he/she complete a quarter on their own in which the average GPA is 2.00 or above, unless reinstated through a successful appeal through the Academic Standards Review Board.

Click here for more information

Health Care

If you are in need of medical care, you may be eligible for benefits through the VA Medical Center. Veterans can apply at any time, in any year. For more information, contact:

Jonathan M. Wainwright VA Medical Center

77 Wainwright Dr.
Walla Walla, WA 99362

Click here for more information.

Educational Tax Credits

With the Hope Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit, students who are paying for college are allowed to take a tax break for qualified expenses. There are certain rules that apply to both credits which eliminate all qualified expenses paid by tax-free funds. If you pay higher education expenses with certain tax-free funds, you cannot claim a credit for those amounts. Tax-free funds could include scholarships, Pell grants, employer-provided educational assistance, veterans-educational assistance, and any other non-taxable payments for educational expenses.

Keep this in mind when filing your taxes.

Click here for more information

Veterans Resource Center

The VRC provides services and assistance to veterans, service members, and spouse/dependents with their transition to college.  Services include but are not limited to VA work study opportunities, counseling, tutoring, housing information, and general VA information.

The Center invites campus and community partners to provide workshops, presentations and other outreach events to assist veteran students with their transition to college life.

Click here for more information.