Library Guide to Nursing and Health Science Resources
*WWCC Library Health and Medicine Databases
*NOTE: WWCC NetID and password is required for access.
>> START HERE!!! – Recommended Database <<
- CINAHL: a powerful database with the tools and filters to help you find what you need
- EBSCOHealth Database Group – searches all of the following EBSCOHealth databases at once:
- CINAHL: Nursing and Allied Health information and scholarly (peer-reviewed) articles for today’s health professionals.
- Health Source – Nursing/Academic Edition: Written for health professionals, find scholarly (peer-reviewed) articles on a variety of medical issues.
- Health Source – Consumer Edition: Health information written for people with no medical background. This database offers a rich collection of consumer health information in the area of medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine, and general health.
- Medline: The National Library of Medicine collects and indexes the information from over 4800 biomedical journals.
- MedicLatina: This provides a variety of medical topics in Spanish.
- AltHealth Watch: This provides articles about alternative health options, some are full-text and peer reviewed.
- Consumer Health Complete
- ProQuest Health and Medicine Database Group – searches all the following ProQuest Health databases at once:
- Nursing and Allied Health Source: This provides scholarly (peer-reviewed) healthcare information covering nursing, allied health, alternative and complementary medicine, and much more.
- Research Library: Health and Medicine: This covers the latest in medical research.
- Family Health: This database is for a more general audience covering a wide variety of health-related topics.
Other WWCC Databases
- Gale Health Reference Center Academic: This multi-source database provides access to the full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus the wide variety of personal health information sources.
- Films on Demand Database: This multi-subject video database includes several thousand informational and demonstrational films in Nursing and Health & Medicine.
Open Access Health and Medicine Databases
- Directory of Open Access Journals – Nursing: This is a direct link to a collection of scholarly peer-reviewed nursing journals within this multi-disciplinary database that are freely available on the internet. Please check with your instructor to make sure open access journals will be accepted.
- National Institute of Health (NIH) / National Library of Medicine (NLM) – Pub Med Central (PMC): PMC is a free full-text database of articles in the biomedical and life sciences.
Other Useful Websites
- 2019 Hospital National Patient Safety Goals
- 2019 Nursing Care Center National Patient Safety Goals
- Merck Manual – Professional Edition
- Merck Manual – Consumer Edition
- Physician’s Desk Reference (PDR)
- Health Reach – Health Information In Many Languages
- CNA Plus Academy – Free Practice Tests
Citation and Research Guides
- Citation Guides – tools to help you cite your sources
- Primary vs Secondary Research – visit this excellent Library Guide from Fitchburg State University
- Evaluating Information Sources – determining usefulness based on Relevance, Authority, Purpose, and Timeliness
- Videos & Tutorials – visit these really cool and quick self-help videos and interactive guides on various aspects of the research process!