Conditions of Award

To receive the financial assistance offered, you must agree to and meet the following terms:

  • You must be registered and attending classes at Walla Walla Community College (WWCC) during each of the quarters for which you are scheduled to receive aid. You must also be making satisfactory academic progress toward an eligible degree or certificate program at WWCC in compliance with the academic progress policy
  • For each offer of financial assistance that we make, there are several other students waiting for our decisions on their applications. Therefore, we reserve the right to cancel any award and offer the money to other students if you are or become ineligible for financial aid at any time throughout the year.
  • Any additional award of financial assistance (such as scholarships, other agency assistance, etc.) which exceeds $200 that has not been included on any of your financial aid applications must be reported to the financial aid office at the time the additional award occurs. Failure to do so may cause you to be over-awarded where you may have to repay funds back to WWCC.
  • You must contact the financial aid office at the Walla Walla campus prior to withdrawal from any of your credits at Walla Walla Community College. Withdrawal may cause a total or partial repayment of Federal and/or State financial aid funds received. Please review the Return of Title IV policy at
  • If you have been awarded a Federal Pell Grant, you will not engage in the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of a controlled substance during the period of enrollment covered by your Federal Pell Grant.
  • If you have been awarded a Federal Work Study or State Work Study job, it means that you are eligible to earn up to that award amount offered. It does not guarantee you a job. You must contact the Financial Aid Office and /or the WorkSource office for employment opportunities. Federal Work Study or State Work Study employment is subject to cancellation or reduction in hours due to lack of state, federal or college matching funds.
  • If you have been awarded a Washington College Grant (formerly WA State Need Grant), you must be a resident of the state of Washington in accordance with RCW 28B.15.011-013. You cannot be pursuing a degree in theology or have earned a Bachelor’s degree. You can voluntarily make financial contributions to the Washington Student Achievement Council in recognition of this Washington College Grant. Any contributions you make in recognition of the Washington College Grant award will be used to provide financial assistance to other students.
    • The State of Washington is offering you financial assistance to help support your education expenses. Please visit to receive more information about financial aid, scholarships, work study, and student loans.
  • If you are borrowing a Direct Loan please note: If you are a first time borrower, we are required to hold your loan funds for 30 days at which time we will conduct grade/attendance verification. If you are not passing/attending your classes, your loans cannot be disbursed and will be cancelled. Beginning Fall of 2013, Subsidized Direct Loan amounts are limited based on your program of study and your percentage of completion within that program. More details are provided in the loan entrance counseling on If you have completed this counseling prior to Fall of 2013 it is advisable to go to this website to get the most current information regarding your loan eligibility.

The financial aid award offered is for the 2019-2020 school year only. Renewal of aid in subsequent years is based on eligibility by completing a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). New applications for 2020-2021 school year will be available beginning October 1, 2019 at


Download Conditions of Award

Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements for Financial Aid Recipients

Students receiving financial aid funds are required to make satisfactory academic progress and must enroll in classes required for their program of study.


All students must be in good standing with WWCC and maintain the minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 each quarter. Students failing to meet this standard will be placed on a warning status for one quarter and will continue to be eligible for aid for that quarter. Failure to meet the 2.00 GPA requirement for two consecutive quarters will result in financial aid suspension.


1. Students are expected to successfully complete the credits for which they enroll. Credits completed will be reviewed at the end of each quarter to determine that progress is being made toward completion of the program of study. If student do not complete the number of registered credits, they can be placed on either a warning status or automatic suspension as follows:

If you enroll as: You must complete at least: You will be placed on warning status if you complete: Aid will be suspended if you complete less than:
Full-time (12+ credits) 12 credits per quarter 6-11 credits per quarter 6 credits per quarter
3/4 time (9-11 credtis) 9 credits per quarter 4-8 credits per quarter 4 credits per quarter
1/2 time (6-8 credits) 6 credits per quarter 3-5 credits per quarter 3 credits per quarter
1/2 time (1-5 credits) All credits enrolled for Total credits enrolled

*Only grades of A, B, C, D, P, and S will count as completed credits. Grades of F, Z, Y, I, N, and W do not count as completed credits.

2. Students must maintain Pace of Progression completion rate of at least 67% of the credits for which they attempt (register).

  • Pace of progression is evaluated at the end of each quarter and is based on cumulative credits completed divided into the cumulative number of credits attempted within their program of study. Those who fail to meet the pace of progression for one quarter will be placed on warning status; two consecutive quarters will result in financial aid suspension.
  • Pace of progression examples for a student enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits):
    • Example 1: Student attempts 20 credits and successfully completes 15 credits: 15/20 = 75% completion. Student is in good academic standing.
    • Example 2: Student attempts 20 credits and successfully copmletes 12 credits: 12/20 = 60% completion. Student is placed on warning status and will continue to receive aid. The pace of progression requirement was not met even though the student successfully met the quarterly enrollment level requirement.
    • Example 3: Student attempts 20 credits and successfully completes 5 credits: 5/20 = 25% completion. Students’s aid is immediately suspended because they failed to meet both the pace of progression requirement and the quarterly enrollment level requirement.


1. Students have a maximum time frame to complete their selected program of study at Walla Walla Community College, indicated as follows:

  • Each student is allowed up to a maximum of 150% of the the total credits required by the program. For example, students in a program requiring 93 credits to complete, will be allowed a maximum of 139 attempted credits to complete the degree. Students receiving Washington College Grant (formerly WA State Need Grant) funds are permitted a maximum of 125% for State Need Grant eligibility.
  • An additional 45 attempted credits are allowed for remedial courses (below 100 level) necessary to enter the selected program of study.
  • All credits which apply to the current program of study will be considered regardless of whether or not financial aid was received.
  • Retaking coursework using financial aid may be allowed under certain circumstances:
    • All coursework that is retaken must be a requirement for program completion.
    • Only coursework that received a failing grade will be allowed to be retaken until a passing grade is received. Financial aid is available for these courses.
    • A student may repeat a previously passed course once utilizing financial aid.

2. maximum of two programs of study may be pursued while on financial aid funding at Walla Walla Community College.

3. Students who are on financial aid warning status:

  • Can receive financial aid while they are on warning status.
  • Must successfully complete 100% of their subsequent term in order to be removed from warning status and be back in good standing for financial aid purposes.
    • If a student fails to complete two consecutive quarters successfully, they will be placed on financial aid suspension.

4. Students who are suspended from financial aid:

  • May be considered fro reinstatement of eligibility after successfully completing, at their own expense, the minimum number of credits required (determined by their last attempted quarter) with a 2.00 GPA for that quarter. Upon successful completion of these credits, the student must submit a grade report and request to be reinstated on financial aid.
  • May appeal for reinstatement of financial aid eligibility based on extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control. An appeal request with appropriate documentation must be submitted to the financial aid office for review. A financial aid appeal committee will review the documentation submitted and make a decision regarding continued eligibility. The financial aid appeal committee will meet periodically throughout each quarter. If the appeal is approved, the student will be placed on a probation the following quarter.
    • Students placed on probation must complete all credits at the status for which they enrolled with at 2.00 GPA during their next term of enrollment and be removed from probation and maintain eligibility for financial aid.
  • Must pay any repayment that may be owed to financial aid programs as a result of leaving school. Repayment must be paid in full before any appeal will be reviewed and before any further financial aid funds will be disbursed.

5. Students are no longer eligible for financial aid at Walla Walla Community College when one or more of the following situations occurs:

  • The degree or certificate program at WWCC has been completed or the maximum number of credits attempted toward program completion has been reached; or
  • The two programs of study limit has been met; or
  • Less than 50% of attempted credits were completed during any one quarter; or
  • Two successive quarter of unsatisfactory academic progress; or
  • Pace of progression minimum of 67% completion was not met for two consecutive quarters.

Federal Return of Title IV Funds Policy (R2T4)

If a student withdraws from Walla Walla Community College (WWCC), either officially or unofficially, the school, the student, or both may be required to return some of all of the federal and state funds awarded to the student for that period of enrollment.

  • Official Withdrawal – when a student contacts the office of admissions at WWCC and requests to withdraw from all of their classes in any given quarter of attendance. This request may be in person, via phone or email. A student can completely withdraw online without contacting the office of Admissions until the 5th day of class.
  • Unofficial Withdrawal – when the student ceased attending classes and did not begin the official withdrawal process or provide notification of their intent to withdraw. The date that WWCC determined that the student withdrew would be the date the school became aware that the student ceased attendance. In most unofficial withdrawal cases, student’s will receive all F’s at the end of the quarter and the last date of attendance will be the date the instructor will provide to the Registrar’s office. If an instructor does not enter a date or there are conflicting dates, the financial aid office will contact instructors to determine the last date of attendance from each instructor and will use the latest date provided as the last date for R2T4 purposes. For online classes the last date of attendance would be determined by the student’s last login date.
  • Leave of Absence – WWCC does not offer students leaves of absences. If a student needs to miss their class(es) for an extended period of time they are encouraged to either take an Incomplete grade or withdraw for the quarter. If the student chooses to take an Incomplete grade, they will need to sign a contract for completion with their instructor(s), failure to complete the contract will result in the student receiving an F in that class. If the student chooses to withdraw or the student does not complete the class, they would go through the withdrawal process and could be subject to the return of title IV aid that is laid out in this policy.

If a recipient of Title IV funds withdraws from a school after beginning attendance, the amount of Title IV funds earned by the student must be determined. If the amount disbursed to the student is greater than the amount the student earned, unearned funds must be returned. If the amount disbursed to the student is less that the amount the student earned, and for which the student is otherwise eligible, they are eligible to receive a Post-withdrawal disbursement of the aid that was not received. Post withdrawal disbursements must be made to the student within 30 days of the determination.

Up through the 60% point in each payment period or period of enrollment, a pro rata schedule is used to determine how much federal funds the student has earned at the time of withdrawal. After the 60% point in the payment period or period of enrollment, a student has earned 100% of the federal funds and no return is required. Returns must be made no later than 45 days after the date of the withdrawal determination.

WWCC is required to complete a federal calculation to determine if an adjustment should be made to the student’s Title IV aid. Federal calculations assume that a student earns federal financial aid awards directly in proportion to the number of days of the term the student attends. The portion of federal grants and loans a student is entitled to receive is calculated on a percentage basis by comparing the total number of days in the term to the number of days completed before the student withdrew. Once the percentage is found it is applied to the amount of federal aid the student received in conjunction to the charges the student incurred during that quarter. WWCC utilizes the Return of Title IV Funds on the Web tool on FAA Access to CPS Online to determine the amount of money that will need to be returned. A copy of this worksheet calculation is kept in the student’s file.

Priority of financial aid fund reimbursement for Return of Title IV Funds is as follows:

  • Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Direct PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

Washington State funds are calculated using Washington College Grant Repayment Policy requirements as set forth by the Washington Student Achievement Counsel. If a student’s last date of attendance can be verified and is prior to or at 50% of the term, the state grant repayment will be based on the percent of the term not completed. If the last date of attendance occurs after 50% of the term has been completed, the state grant award is considered 100% earned and no state grant repayment will be due. WWCC utilized the Washington College Grant repayment calculator on their portal website to determine the amount of money to return to that program.