In the unlikely event, there is an issue with our online programs or services, please contact our eLearning Department so that we may help you.

Online students may use the Instructional Grievance Procedure as a means of seeking resolution.  If a student exhausts the college’s grievance procedure and the issue is still not resolved, they should contact the Washington Student Achievement Council for further action.

Note: The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) has authority to investigate student complaints against specific schools. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint. Visit the Washington Student Achievement Council website for information regarding the WSAC complaint process. Students may also contact our accreditation agency, The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, which is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education.

Complaint Resolution Contacts by State