WWCC Continuing Education Department uses Zoom for most online classes. Zoom is an easy-to-use video conferencing program used by many schools and organizations.
What You Need:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone with audio and/or video capabilities.
- An internet browser or the Zoom desktop client or mobile app. Download and install the Zoom app or desktop client in preparation for your class.
- Access to the email address you assigned to your account through the Continuing Education online registration system.
- You do not need to sign up for a Zoom account to attend meetings but creating a free account (Click “Sign Up Free”) can be helpful.
How to Use Zoom:
- After you sign up for a Continuing Education class, you’ll receive a confirmation email that contains the invitation to join your class. The invitation consists of a meeting link and meeting ID.
- You’ll receive a reminder email a couple of days before your class begins. It will include the meeting invitation again for your convenience.
- You will click the link included in the invitation to join the class at the scheduled class time.
- More tutorials on using Zoom can be found at https://support.zoom.us. You can also test your functionality at https://zoom.us/test.
- If you are having trouble accessing the class, contact us at [email protected]
- If you are finding your home internet has delays or interruptions, you can turn off your video function and just listen and speak.
- How to access a Zoom meeting using just a phone (no video):
- Call one of the following phone numbers and follow verbal instructions. Toll free: 833-302-1536 OR If you have unlimited talk: 1-253-215-8782 | 1-301-715-8592 | 1-312-626-6799
- Enter the meeting ID followed by the # key (the meeting ID is included in your email invitation).
- You will be asked to enter your participant ID. Simply press the # key.
- You have now joined the zoom meeting using audio only.
Student Guidelines for Virtual Meetings:
- Do not share the class meeting links.
- Allow yourself a few extra minutes to join the class meeting.
- Sign in to Zoom with your full name. Instructors will only admit students whose names they recognize from their class roster.
- Turn your camera on and have your camera at eye level.
- Mute your microphone when not talking.
- If you are finding your home internet is spotty/lagging, you can turn off your video feed.
- Inform others in your household that you are in an online video class, so they know that if they walk in the room, they will be on camera. (The class will always be able to see you – even if you click off of Zoom to a different application – unless your camera is turned off.) Or better yet, lock the door.
- Don’t do anything in a virtual class that you wouldn’t do in an in-person class.
- If the instructor is speaking and you don’t want to interrupt, most platforms have a chat window. This is a great way to get your question down (so you don’t forget it) without interrupting the class.