These represent articles/books/DVDs that were referenced during the workshops as well as those that have been shared because of their potential value.
- Infograhic: Social Media’s Impact on Giving in 2012
From Nonprofit Quarterly, an infographic designed by MDG Advertising illustrates interesting ways in which social media has played a role in online giving.
- Building Your Presence with Facebook Pages: A Guide for Nonprofit Organizations
Every day, millions of people all over the world visit Facebook to connect with friends and share what they love. This guide is designed to help non-profit organizations make the most of Facebook Pages to tell their stories and build deep, lasting connections with their audience.
- The Permanent Disruption of Social Media
Social media has chipped away at the foundation of traditional donor-engagement models. A new study highlights the realities of donor behavior and how organizations can redesign their outreach strategies to be more effective.
- Guide to Social Media Optimization
Provided by Achieva Marketing Group, this guide outlines the set of processes meant to successfully promote a brand, product or event.
- Focus on Sustainability: A Nonprofit’s Journey – Dennis G. McMillan of the Foraker Group (2013)
What exactly is sustainability? How is it achieved? Sustainability is about far more than money! This small but insightful book explores those factors that are essential to real organizational sustainability. Available in the WWCC library.
- 15 policies for sound not-for-profit governance – Ken Tysiac (2013) Journal of Accountancy
Not-for-profits that don’t follow good governance procedures put the mission at risk unnecessarily. The engaging article describes 15 policies that can help not-for-profits avoid such problems.
- The Board Chair – Executive Director Relationship: Dynamics that Create Value for Nonprofit Organizations – Mary Hiland (2008) Journal for Nonprofit Management
An excellent article that dissects the Board Chair – Executive Director relationship, which is a determining factor in an organization’s effectiveness.
- Community: The Structure of Belonging – Peter Block (2008)
An excellent resource, which is comprehensive, thought-provoking, and exceptionally well-written about how best to build a sense of community that is relevant to anyone with interest. Available in the WWCC library.
- Boards That Make a Difference – John Carver (2006)
Can help your board empower both board and staff, eliminate trivia, establish a meaningful organizational direction, clarify roles, plan productive meetings, establish officers and committees that work, and provide the leadership for which governing boards exist.
- Governance as Leadership: Reframing the Work of Nonprofit Boards – Richard Chait, William Ryan and Barbara Taylor (2005)
A new framework for helping nonprofit organizations maximize the effectiveness of their boards: more macrogovernance in exchange for less micromanagement. Available in the WWCC library.
- Guidebook for Directors of Nonprofit Corporations – American Bar Associations (2003)
This guidebook describes the legal principles that apply to nonprofits of all sizes.
- The CompassPoint Board Model for Governance and Support
An excellent article on the fundamental responsibilities of nonprofit boards in terms of governance and support of the organization.
Leadership and Management
- Nimble Nonprofits: Taking Nothing for Granted in an Era of Constant Change – Nancy Bell Evans Center on Nonprofits and Philanthropy at the University of Washington (2012)
- Bright Spots Leadership in the Pacific Northwest, Helicon Collaborative and The Paul G. Allen Family Foundation (2012)
- Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High-Impact Nonprofits – Leslie Crutchfield and Heather McLeod Grant (2008)
- Good to Great and the Social Sectors – Jim Collins (2005)
- An Executive Directors’ Guide to Financial Leadership – Kate Barr and Jeanne Bell (2011)
- Building Leaderful Organizations: Succession Planning for Nonprofits – Tim Wolfred (2008)
- CompassPoint Next Generation Organizations – Marla Cornelius and Tim Wolfred (2011)
- Generation Change and the Leadership of Nonprofit Organizations – Frances Kunreuther (2005)
- Resources: Learning More about Succession Planning – (2011) suggested by Tim Wolfred
- Collective Impact – John Kania and Mark Kramer (2011)
- Channeling Change: Making Collective Impact Work – Fay Hanleybrown, John Kania, and Mark Kramer
- Five Life Stages of Nonprofit Organizations – Judith Sharken Simon (2001)
- The Importance of Donor Data – Jan McGowan (2011)
An excellent article that explores why nonprofit organizations should invest in tracking donor data and how it can be effectively and ethically used to raise funds.
- Boards on Fire: Inspiring Leaders to Raise Money Joyfully – Susan Howlett (2010)
This essential manual identifies the obstacles that keep leaders from fulfilling their responsibilities-and offers simple steps for overcoming each barrier. Available in the WWCC library.
- Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea – Gary Kinder (1998)
On the surface, this is a story of recovering gold from the 1857 shipwreck of the steamship Central America off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. Underneath, this may be the most instructional book ever written on the art of fundraising.
- Evaluating Your Executive Director – The Enterprise Foundation (1999)
Article on the evaluation process, how and where to gather information, etc., including a Sample Evaluation Form that can easily be incorporated into your organization.
- Executive Director Evaluation Survey Form – Jan Masaoka, Blue Avocado
Proposal of a process, evaluation instrument, and survey form.