September 1, 2015
Walla Walla Community College
Tobacco Free Campus Policy
- WHEREAS, Walla Walla Community College (WWCC) is committed to being a catalyst that Transforms our students’ live and the communities we serve; and
- WHEREAS, we desire to provide the healthiest possible learning and working environment for our students, staff, and visitors; and
- WHEREAS, WWCC has a unique opportunity and responsibility to provide leadership and a Foundation for healthful living; and
- WHEREAS, the leading cause of preventable death in the nation is tobacco use, and we believe that limiting the harmful effects of tobacco use is one of the best ways we can support a Healthier campus community; and,
- WHEREAS, restrictive policies have been shown to effectively reduce tobacco use by helping Prevent initiation and making it easier for people who use tobacco to quit; and
- WHEREAS, Washington State Governor Jay Inslee has encouraged Higher Education institutions to implement comprehensive wellness programs that include living tobacco free;
- BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED that WWCC Board of Trustees hereby adopts the following Tobacco Free Campus policy effective September 1, 2015:
Walla Walla Community College prohibits smoking or other tobacco use, including: The use of electronic cigarettes, distribution or sale of tobacco, including any smoking device or carrying of any lighted smoking instrument with in the perimeter of college property. This includes all college premises, sidewalks, parking lots, landscaped areas, sports fields; college owned rented or leased buildings on campus; and college owned, rented or leased vehicles.
Support programs are available for students who would like assistance with quitting.
- Tobacco Quit Line 1-800-Quit-Now * (800) 784-8669
- Spanish Quit Line 1-877-2No-Fume (877) 266-3863
- Starting in the Winter of 2015 WWCC will offer TobaccNO classes – HPER 101 & 102
Thanks for making this transition at WWCC a success.