Does every Washington Baccalaureate accept transfer students?

The great majority of colleges and universities in Washington state enroll transfer students. Some colleges have a limited number of transfer student “slots” and admission may be competitive. You should visit the admission web site of the college or university you are considering and review its transfer student admission requirements to help you prepare.

Do students who go directly from high school to a baccalaureate do better academically than transfer students from a community college?

Not necessarily. In many cases, students who transfer from a community college to a baccalaureate do just as well, or better, academically than students who began as freshman. If you are a good student and have developed good study habits at your community college, you should be well-prepared to succeed in classes at your transfer institution.

When should I apply to transfer?

Each college or university has its own closing dates for admission applications and the dates may be different for each item. Closing dates for transfer applicant may differ from the closing dates for freshman applicants, and your major departments may have a separate departmental application deadline as well.

A year ahead of your intended transfer, verify the closing date at each intended institution and plan to apply before the deadline. Also, check back once you get closer to the deadline to be sure that you have the right deadline date.

Do I need to talk to an academic advisor before transferring?

YES! It is highly encouraged! (And mandatory at Walla Walla Community Colege). While there is information available on college websites to help you develop your own plan, talking to an admission representative or major advisor before transferring can help you make sure the course you take counts towards the degree you want to earn. While lots of credits transfer, you’ll want to make sure those credits help you earn your chosen degree and graduate on time.

Is there a minimum grade point average (GPA) required to transfer? Do I need a specific GPA to transfer?

This varies by college and some majors require prerequisite courses or a minimum GPA. To find out if your intended college or major has any special admission criteria, contact an admission representative at the baccalaureate you plan to attend.

Most colleges require a minimum grade per course, either for admission into the college or into a major. The minimum transfer grade is usually a 2.0 (C grade). Should you earn a course grade below 2.0, you might not receive transfer credit for that course.

Are there advantages to earning a Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) or the Associate in Science Transfer Track 1 or Track 2 (AS-t#1, AS-T#2) associate degrees and then transferring?

Earning a DTA or AS-T associate degree before transferring has advantages. Transfer degrees were developed by community college and baccalaureate institutions to enable you to enter your upper-division course work and complete your bachelor’s degree as efficiently as possible. Courses included as part of the DTA/AS-T that otherwise might not transfer on a course-by-course basis will transfer, and for many public baccalaureate institutions, the DTA/AS-T ensures priority during the admissions cycle if you apply prior to the admission deadline.

The DTA degree satisfies all or most of the lower-division general education requirements. The AS-T degree includes more math and science than can fit in the DTA, and leave some general education requirements to be completed at the baccalaureate institution. This pathway can save time for students majoring in math and science fields.

In addition, you may be able to complete your transfer STA, AS-T AA or other associate’s degree after your initial transfer to your four-year school by either transferring classes back from your four-year school or taking remaining classes at your community college. Check with both schools to be sure of their policies.

When I get my Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) or Associate in Science Transfer (AS-T) associate degree does that men I will automatically have junior standing?

A student who has earned a Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) or the Associate in Science (AS-T) associate degree at a community or technical college will generally have a junior standing at the baccalaureate institution. When a student applies to a baccalaureate institution, the courses are evaluated and the total number of transfer credits with the university accepts, determines class standing. The DTA/AS-T is the best route to transfer in with junior standing. Your advisor can help you review how different educational pathways transfer to various colleges and universities.

What is the maximum number of credits I can transfer to a bachelor's degree program?

It varies. Most baccalaureates accept 90 to 105 quarter (60 to 73 semester) credits from community colleges. That does not mean all credits can always be applied to your intended bachelor’s degree. Also, most baccalaureate institutions have “senior residency” requirements, meaning a student needs to earn the last 45 quarter or 30 semester credits of a bachelor’s degree program at the college.

How many credits do I need to be considered a transfer student at baccalaureate/four-year schools?

If you have taken college courses after high school graduation, college and university admission representatives will consider you a transfer applicant. Although college-level courses taken while still in high school, such as Running Start or College in the High School, will transfer to most baccalaureate institutions, you may be considered a freshman applicant. Typically, students who have completed a minimum of 40 quarter credits (27 semester credits) may be admitted as transfer students at most institutions in Washington. Contact the admission office at the institution you plan to attend for more information.

How do I know which classes will transfer? Which credits will count towards core/general education requirements? Which to my major? Which as elective?

The baccalaureates evaluate credits for transfer based upon course level, content, and the relationship of the course to other courses in the curriculum to determine equivalencies. Most classes transfer, but not all may apply to your specific degree choice.

Students can check how specific individual courses transfer by referring to each university’s transfer equivalency guide, which can be found on each school’s website. Please see the “Links for Selected Transfer Schools” under the “Schools” tab of the Transfer Homepage.

When do my credits transfer?

This varies from institution to institution. Some college evaluate your courses before you are admitted, although this evaluation is often considered unofficial. Most require you to either be admitted or enrolled before completing an official transfer evaluation. Read your destination institution’s website or talk to the admission representative to find out how and when your credits will be evaluated and then transferred.

What can I do if a course does not transfer?

The transferability of a course is determined by the receiving institution. If a course you thought would transfer did not, contact the office that prepared your transfer evaluation and ask why. In general, you can expect one of three responses.

  • the receiving institution will explain how its transfer policy was applied to the course in question;
  • you will be asked to provide more information, such as a syllabus, that more thoroughly describes the transfer course; or
  • you may be asked to explain your intended use of the course because there may be some flexibility in an institution’s transfer practices.

After review of your circumstances and your academic goals, the decision about course transferability could be reconsidered.

If, after discussing your transfer evaluation, you are still not satisfied, you may ask about the institution’s appeal policy and then carefully follow the process for challenging your evaluation.

How do I send my official transcripts to a university?

You must make a request to have your official transcripts sent to your school of choice. There is a minimum fee of $5. All requests can be made online at:

Please note: Official transcripts must remain sealed in the envelope. Once opened, universities will no longer accept them as official.

Should I choose a major before transferring?

Yes! When applying to a baccalaureate institution, students often have to apply to both the university and to their major. Many majors have prerequisite courses and other admission requirements that you can fulfill within your Associate degree.

What do I need to know if I plan to transfer without earning an associate's degree?

Completing a Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) or the Associate in Science Transfer (AS-T) degree will often maximize the number of college credits that will transfer to a university and save students money. However, some students may need to transfer prior to completing their DTA/AS-T degree.

Many colleges and universities will require applicants with fewer than 40 transferable credits to submit pre-college test scores (SAT or ACT) and meet earlier freshman admission deadlines. High school transcripts could play a more important role in the admission process. If so, you will need to consider whether your performance in these areas will meet a school’s requirements should they be used in the admission review process. Students should also know that in some cases, the highest priority for admission is given to the applicants holding an associates degree.

At Walla Walla Community College, students have the option to earn their degree through Reverse Transfer. In Reverse Transfer, a student may complete the remaining requirements for their WWCC degree, and have it evaluated. If, after evaluation, the degree is completed, it will post to the student’s transcript. The student may then have the degree transferred to their baccalaureate institute to complete their General Education requirements. Please speak with an advisor for more details.