Washington state law vests the WWCC Board of Trustees with the responsibility for appointing the President (RCW 28B.50.140 (3). The Board considers the selection of the President to be their most important responsibility, and the search process vital to ensuring WWCC remains a high performing institution committed to our vision, values and core themes.
These guidelines are designed to assist the Board in meeting their responsibility in a manner that is responsive to the leadership needs of the college and the public we serve, and to provide a general procedural framework for the search and selection of the college’s next President.
Presidential Search Guiding Principles
- The search will be conducted in a professional, efficient, and timely manner. While a reasonable objective would be to have a President named by the end of June 2016, this timeframe should not impinge on the overarching goal of the search, which is to find an excellently-qualified candidate who shares our vision and values.
- The Board will respect and protect candidate confidentiality to the fullest extent allowed by law, while making every effort to ensure that the search process is transparent and as open and inclusive as possible, with opportunities for input from the campus and local community.
- The search shall be conducted with an awareness of the diversity of our community and its constituencies and shall proceed in accordance with equal opportunity principles.
- The Board will strive to appoint a Presidential Search Advisory Committee that is both manageable in size and includes members from a variety of backgrounds, expertise, perspectives, and representative of our district.
- The Board will use a professional search consultant to provide overall guidance to the Advisory Committee, assist with development of the position and institutional profile documents, recruit and evaluate applicants, and work closely with the Advisory Committee to ensure a smooth and efficient search process.
- The Advisory Committee will work with the search consultant retained to develop procedures to be followed for the recruitment of candidates and for the Advisory Committee’s evaluation of candidate qualifications.
- The Presidential Search Advisory Committee and the search consultant will act in an advisory capacity only and will not have authority to take action on behalf of the Board of Trustees. The Board reserves the right to reject any recommendations and has sole authority to carry out the final selection and appointment process.
- The Board may deviate from these guidelines to the extent allowed by law and in its sole discretion, in order to identify and recruit qualified candidates or to make the selection for the presidency.