The mission of the Diesel Technology program is to prepare individuals for careers as Diesel and Heavy Equipment mechanics and occupations related to the field. Upon satisfactory completion, the student will meet the entry-level performance requirements.
- Understand the construction, function, and general service of all major equipment components.
- Diagnose mechanical malfunctions and performance problems.
- Make decisions as to disposition of worn parts (i.e. usable as is; should be reconditioned or replaced).
- Operate precision diagnostic and repair equipment.
- Read and interpret repair manuals.
- Understand the importance of good public relations with customers, employer, and fellow employees.
- Understand basic shop operation.
- Be cognizant of overhead and labor cost in relationship to profit.
- Understand apprenticeship and how it functions.
- Be informed on methods of seeking employment.