These web resources will help you to know more about Animal Rights.
- Animal Welfare Information Center, USDA - The AWIC is mandated by US Law to provide information on "animal care and use in research, testing, teaching, and exhibition." There are links on this page to laws regarding all kinds of use of animals in the United States.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency - There is no better place to find out about the United States laws that affect our environment than the Environmental Protection Agency.
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service - The Fish and Wildlife Service sets policy on conservation and hunting in the US. This is a great place to find out about latest conservation issues.
ADVOCACY AND EDUCATION
- Animal Welfare Institute - This is an advocacy organization seeking to end animal suffering at the hands of human beings. Check here for issues related to all kinds of animal rights throughout the world.
- National Parks Service - The US National Parks Service has some helpful information on biodiversity and stewardship of our national parks, including their animals.
- Redzone - This is the website of an organization that seeks to protect the salmon of the Delta and Prince William Sound watershed area. The Eyak people have fished in this area for generations and they seek to protect the balance of the ecosystem in order to protect their way of life.
- World Wildlife Fund - The WWF is one of the world's biggest advocacy groups for animal rights and habitat protection. This site has all kinds of background information on different species, habitats, laws and worldwide movements to protect the planet.
- The Nature Conservancy - The Nature Conservancy advocates for nature, and they have a lot of information on endangered species. This is a great place to get some background information.
- League of Conservation Voters - The LCV advocates for the environment in all things. This organization rates our leaders according to how they support environmental issues, check out the National Environmental Scorecard.
- International Fund for Animal Welfare - This site has news and information from around the world on animal rights.
- Animal Aid - Animal Aid is the UK's largest animal rights group.
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - PETA is probably one of the best-known organizations that seeks to protect animals from any kind of mistreatment.
- ALTWeb - AltWeb is "the global clearinghouse for information on alternatives on animal testing."
- Global Development Research Center - Humankind needs cities because they give us a place to live, places to work, structures to support our development. However, cities are hard on the environment. The GDRC seeks to understand how urban development can support humankind as well as the environment, including animals.
ZOOS AND DOMESTICATION
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums - This is a great place to find out about how zoos and aquariums support animal welfare by reading up on their major professional association.
- Animal Care and Management at the National Zoo: Final Report - In 2003, the Congress asked for an independent review on the treatment of animals at the National Zoo. This report is the findings of that group.
- Captive Wild Animal Protection Campaign - Some wild animals make horrible pets, and this organization seeks to protect them from becoming domesticated, especially when it is harmful to both the animal and the person(s) seeking to adopt them.
- IUCN Redlist - The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species™ claim they are "widely recognized as the most comprehensive, objective global approach for evaluating the conservation status of plant and animal species."
- Endangered Species Coalition - This organization specializes in advocating for the world's endangered species. There is a lot of information on law, but mostly this website focuses on education and outreach.
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Endangered Species Program - The US FWS page that explains the organization's programs that support and conserve endangered species.
HUNTING AND CONTROL OF SPECIES
- Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health - In many places around the world animals that aren't original have infiltrated the ecosystems of other animals and began to choke the original inhabitants out. This organization seeks to understand and deal with invasive species.
- National Rifle Association Hunters Rights - The NRA's page on hunting and its benefits in our natural world. A great place to find out about state laws on hunting.
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife: Hunting - Washington allows for tribal hunts of some protected animals, here is some information on that.
- National Wild Turkey Federation - This organization provides information on hunting wild turkeys.
- Buckmasters - This is a great clearinghouse for information on hunting whitetail deer.
- Humane Society - The Humane Society is one of the best known pet rescue associations in the world. They also advocate for animal issues around the world.
- North Shore Animal League America - This shelter claims to be the world's largest no kill animal shelter.