Health Sciences and Nursing Resources
Find Articles (* WWCC Identification number required for off-campus access.)
Download this Nursing Database Search Tips handout for tips on how to effectively search for a scholary article from a nursing journal, published in the United States, 5 years ago or less.
Recommended Health and Medicine Database
*ProQuest Health and Medicine Databases (click this link to search all ProQuest Health at once)
- *Nursing and Allied Health Source: This provides scholarly (peer-reviewed) healthcare information covering nursing, allied health, alternative and complementary medicine, and much more.
- *Research Library: Health and Medicine: This covers the latest in medical research.
- *Family Health: This database is for a more general audience covering a wide variety of health-related topics.
Other Health and Medicine Databases
*Gale Cengage Infotrac Health Reference Center Academic: This multi-source database provides access to the full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus the wide variety of personal health information sources .
*EBSCO Health and Medicine Databases (click this link to search all EBSCO Health at once)
- *Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition: Written for health professionals, find scholarly (peer-reviewed) articles on a variety of medical issues.
- *Health Source: Consumer Edition: Health information written for people with no medical background. This database offers a rich collection of consumer health information in the area of medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine, and general health.
- *Medline: The National Library of Medicine collects and indexes the information from over 4800 biomedical journals.
- *MedicLatina: This provides a variety of medical topics in Spanish.
- *AltHealth Watch: This provides articles about alternative health options, some are full-text and peer reviewed.
Open Access Health and Medicine Databases
- Directory of Open Access Journals - Nursing: This is a direct link to a collection of scholarly peer-reviewed nursing journals within this multi-disciplinary database that are freely available on the internet. Please check with your instructor to make sure open access journals will be accepted.
- National Institute of Health (NIH) / National Library of Medicine (NLM) - Pub Med Central (PMC): PMC is a free full-text database of articles in the biomedical and life sciences.
Print Journals (visit publisher websites to search for articles then visit WWCC Libraries to read selected articles)
Nursing Schools, Scholarships, Careers
RN to BSN Online - comprehensive guide to nursing programs, scholarships, and careers
Citation Guides - tools to help you cite your sources
IRIS Research Tutorial - a guide to finding, using, and citing sources:
- Types of Periodicals - knowing the difference between popular, trade, and scholarly media
- Primary vs Secondary Sources - identifying a research article
- World Wide Web - distinguishing types of websites
- Plagiarism and Citations - using information effectively - avoiding plagiarism by giving proper citations
Self-Help Tutorials - visit NCSU's really cool and quick self-help videos and interactive guides!
Evaluating Information Sources - determining usefulness based on Relevance, Credibility, Bias, Currency, and Accuracy