FACULTY SENATE CONSTITUTION
Walla Walla Community College
Adopted: October 2010
ARTICLE I: NAME
Pursuant to RCW 28B.50.145, which states, "The boards of trustees of the various college districts may create at each community or technical college under their control a faculty senate or similar organization to be selected by periodic vote of the respective faculties thereof," Walla Walla Community College has established a faculty senate. This organization shall be called the "Faculty Senate of Walla Walla Community College", hereafter referred to as the "Faculty Senate".
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
The Faculty Senate shall provide a faculty forum for discussion of College affairs, provide a mechanism for faculty participation in college governance, and promote faculty involvement in the life of the College. The Faculty Senate shall:
- study issues, problems, and concerns; identify solutions; reach consensus; and recommend action;
- encourage the faculty's representation on all College councils and committees;
- facilitate exchange of concerns among the faculty, administration, students, staff, and community; and
- consult with the faculty bargaining agent in all matters of mutual concern, and refer contract issues to the bargaining agent.
ARTICLE III: ELECTORS
Electors include all full-time faculty, and all part-time faculty who have taught at least fifteen (15) credit hours within the previous four-quarter academic year (summer to spring quarters).
ARTICLE IV: FACULTY SENATE MEMBERSHIP AND TERMS OF OFFICE
- All Electors, and only Electors, shall be eligible to serve in the Senate.
- Membership shall be as follows:
- at least one Senator from each Electoral Unit (see "Proportion of Representation");
- at least one, but not more than three, Senator(s) to represent part-time faculty;
- at least one, but not more than two, Senator(s) at-Large;
- the AHE President and the AHE President-Elect.
- Description of Electoral Units
Electoral Units shall serve as the units of election for the Faculty Senate.
ARTICLE V: SENATORS AND OFFICERS OF THE FACULTY SENATE
- Officers of the Faculty Senate shall consist of the Chair, the Chair Elect, and the Secretary.
- It shall be the custom of the Faculty Senate that the outgoing Chair serve as an ex-officio (non-voting) officer of the Faculty Senate (and the Executive Committee) for one academic year.
ARTICLE VI: EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- The Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate shall consist of the Chair, Chair Elect, AHE President, Faculty Senate Secretary, and the immediate past Chair.
ARTICLE VII: MEETINGS, AGENDA, & QUORUM
- Meetings of the Faculty Senate shall be held approximately three (3) times per quarter, but no less than two (2) times per quarter, of the college's regular session (September through June). Meetings shall be open only to Electors and invited guests.
- A quorum in the Faculty Senate and any of its committees shall be a majority of the voting members.
- For all Senate business necessitating a vote, a quorum is required.
ARTICLE VIII: PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
- Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised shall be the parliamentary authority for the Faculty Senate.
ARTICLE IX: CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS
- Amendments to the Constitution shall require a supermajority vote of three quarters of the Faculty Senate membership.